Pan fried or Shallow fried PALAK (SPINACH) Dal Pakora and Green Chilli Pakora with Tomato Rasam .
Pan fried or Shallow fried SPINACH Dal Pakora ( Palak) and Banana Peppers Pakora . We all know Onion Pakora prepared with Chickpea flour. My plan for Weekend is to prepare Dahi Vada with Urad dal . It ‘s friday evening and had free time to clean up the Cup boards so I can write grocery list . Saw Black chickpeas , Horse gram and Split Moong Dal hiding in the back shelf. So change my mind and soaked all four Dals to prepare Pakora. They turned out Very very TASTY.
I have some Zero Spicy Banana Peppers which my Kids also like to eat. So half the batter I prepared Pakora’s by adding Onions and Spices and half the batter I prepared Banana pepper Pakora’s . I added some Chickpea flour and Rice flour to absorb the moisture . So the Pakora’s won’t absorb Oil while Shallow frying and they will be Crispy if PAN FRYING. . ( I shallow fried with minimum Oil . So no waste of Oil and reusing fried Oil in preparing Curries is not good for Health .)
To go along with Pakora’s I prepared Simple Tomato Rasam . It is difficult to do all preparation on Sunday . So I do preparation day before like Soaking and Grinding and Chopping the Vegetables . Refrigerate . Mix the batter with flours and vegetables before you prepare Pakora. Tomato Rasam too I did preparation day before and bring to Boil before serving. ENJOY these tasty PAKORA’S with WARM TOMATO RASAM /SOUP .
How to STORE Tomatoes and Banana Peppers for more than 10 Days :
Store Tomatoes in the same box you buy from your Store. Don’t throw them . Reuse them. Next time when you buy tomatoes from Indian Stores or any other stores , store Tomatoes in these Boxes. They stay good for more than 10 days. For every 3 days take them from the refrigerator and leave on Kitchen counter for 3 to 4 Hours or till they come to Room temperature. This way they stay good .Refrigerated ones are protected from damaging heat effects.
In case Of Banana Peppers . Wrap them individually in a Paper Towel and into Ziplock or Plastic Bags. Change the Paper towel every four days and leave them on the Kitchen counter till they come for room temperature. This way Banana Peppers stay good for 2 weeks. You can Reuse the Paper towel for Wrapping other Vegetables when they are dry or Use them to Clean Your Kitchen floor.
STORING SPINACH FOR MORE THAN A WEEK:
I buy SPINACH in Box or Bag and re use the Box if I buy spinach in a Bag. . This is how I use for more than a week . I air dry Spinach if any Moisture is there . Place Paper towel at the bottom of the Box and loosely spread Spinach on the Paper towel . Again place one more Paper towel , followed by Spinach . Place one more Paper towel on top and close the Box . Store in the Lower or Second shelf of the refrigerator . Every two days leave on the Kitchen Counter for 2 to 3 hours or till it comes to Room temperature if any Spinach is Left Over. Change the Paper Towels.
RECIPE FOR TOMATO RASAM/SOUP :
1.Microwave 2 tomatoes in Microwave safe Bowl for 1 Minute. Cool and Peel the skin of the Tomato. Heat 1 tbsp Oil and Splutter Cumin seeds and add finely chopped Tomato . Season with salt and Turmeric . Cover and cook Until Tomato is soft.
2. Add 2 Cups water , 1/2 to 1 tbsp Rasam Powder , Crushed Garlic( 4 Cloves) , Chopped Ginger or grated ginger, Curry Leaves. Bring to boil . Once it comes to boil add freshly ground Black pepper and chopped Coriander Leaves .
Recipe for 30 Medium Pakora’s . Preparation time : 15 minutes and Cooking time for 8 Medium Pakora’s : 5 to 7 Minutes . Cook On Medium / Medium High .
INGREDIENTS FOR DAL PAKORA :
1. Urad dal – 1/2 cup
2.Split Green Moong Dal – 1/2 cup or Whole Green Moong Dal
3. Horse gram – 1/2 Cup or Yellow Moong Dal – 1/2 cup
4. Black Channa – 1/2 cup
5. Onion – 1 ( finely Chopped)
6. Green Chillies and Ginger
7. Finely Chopped Spinach or Coriander – One Bunch
9. Ajwain – 1 tbsp
10 . Oil – 2tbsp for Panfrying or One Measuring Cup and Little more for Shallow frying
11. Chickpea flour and Rice flour – 1/4 th cup each .
METHOD : PAN FRIED or SHALLOW FRIED
1. Soak Dals Overnight . In the morning wash Dals 3 to 4 times . Grind with little Salt and Cumin seeds without adding Water. Transfer to a Bowl .
2. Divide the Batter into Half . Half for Pakora and Half for Banana Pepper Pakora’s .
3. In half of the Batter add Chickpea flour , Rice flour , Chopped Green chillies , Ginger , Ajwain and Chopped Spinach or Coriander Leaves . Check for Salt and spices and add accordingly .
4. Heat Pan with little Oil . Take Lemon size ball and shape like vada and Pan fry them on both sides till Golden Brown .
or Heat Oil for Shallow frying. Once Oil is Warm enough take Lemon size Batter and shape like Vada and slowly slide in the Oil . ( I shaped like Vada so they will Cook inside evenly in less time) . Don’t over crowd. Cook on Medium/ Medium High flame .
5. Once Golden Brown transfer to a Plate lined with Paper towel so it will absorb excess Oil . Repeat the Process with rest of the Batter.
LEFT OVERS can be REFRIGERATED and taste good for next day or Pack for KIDS LUNCH BOX .
6. Wash Banana Peppers and Cut into Circles and dip in the Batter not mixed with Chickpea and rice flour and Pan fry them or Shallow fry them .