Spinach Potato Biryani( Aloo Palak Biryani) with Channa Dal and Whole Spices ( One Pot Meal) for Lunch / Dinner Served with Raita ( Yogurt with Onions , Tomato and Cumin seeds Seasoning) Papad and Pickle .
This is my Second Biryani Post ( after Chole Biryani) which is delicious when served with Raita, Papad and Pickle .
Spinach Biryani( ALOO CHANA PALAK BIRYANI) is a Simple and Easy Biryani recipe cooked in RICE COOKER with aromatic Basmati Rice , Whole Spices , Crushed Tomatoes and Spiced it up with Green Chilli Paste, Ginger – Garlic Paste and Biryani Masala . I also added Channa dal to make it a nutritional One Pot Meal . I usually prepare this Biryani recipe for Kids Lunch Box or for Weekend Lunch so I can spend some time with Kids and at the same time enjoy Home food. This recipe will definitely help when you are in rush to fix quick Lunch/Dinner with SIMPLE INGREDIENTS.
It is easy to cook Biryani recipe if you do some prep work night before ( Like measure rice and mix with Channa dal , wash and soak in the Morning , Chop all the Veggies and refrigerate and gather Whole Spices and store in a Box ). So you can Cook Lunch in 10 Minutes ( Rice Cooker).
Recipe for 3 People .
Preparation time : 15 Minutes
Cooking Time : 10 Minutes
Note : Adding Green Chilli Paste and Biryani Masala is Optional . I tried with and without . Both taste Good.
1. Basmati Rice – 1 Cup
2. Spinach – 3 Handfuls
3. Channa Dal – 1/4 th Cup
4. Onion – 1 ( Medium)
5. Tomatoes – 2
6. Potatoes – 2 Medium or 8 Baby Potatoes
7. Ginger and Garlic paste – 1 tbsp.
8. Whole Spices – Cloves -5 , Cardamom – 2 , Cinnamon Stick – 2 to 3 Small , Bay Leaves – 3 , Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp.
9. Oil – 3 tbsp.
10 . Ghee – 2 tbsp.
11. Water – 2 Cups
12. Green Chilli Paste – 1 tbsp.
13 . BIryani Masala – 1/2 to 1 tbsp, Red chilli powder or Sambar powder and Red chilli powder
14 . Coriander and Mint Leaves
15. Salt as per taste
1. Soak Basmati Rice and Channa Dal for 30 Minutes . Wash 3 to 4 times and add 2 Cups Water and Little Salt . Check Water for Salt and adjust . Transfer to rice Cooker . Cut Onions length Wise. Crush the Tomatoes. Cut Baby Potatoes into Half . Chop the Spinach.
2. Heat 1 tbsp. Oil and fry Spinach and add to the Rice and Channa Dal Water . Add 2 more tbsp. Oil and 2 tbsp. Ghee to the Sauce Pan and Saute Onions with Cumin Seeds and Whole Spices . Once Onions are Golden Brown. Add GINGER GARLIC PASTE and fry for Couple of Minutes. Add Baby Potatoes followed by CRUSHED TOMATOES . Switch off the Stove .
3. Add the Onion Mixture to the Rice Water . Season with Green Chilli Paste or Sliced Green Chillies , Biryani Masala , Red chilli powder , Coriander and Mint Leaves
4. Cook in the Rice Cooker . It will take approximately 10 Minutes . SERVE warm with YOGURT RAITA , PAPAD and PICKLE . Remove Cinnamon Stick and Bay Leaves before Serving. Taste the Biryani and adjust Seasoning.
5. To One cup YOGURT add 1/4 th Cup finely Chopped Onions , 1 tomato ( Finely Chopped), finely Chopped Coriander Leaves. Season it with Salt . Heat 1 to 2 tbsp. Oil and add CUMIN seeds . Cool the Seasoning and add to YOGURT ( Curd).