These Vegetables I bought last week but still look fresh. This is how I store Vegetables and they stay fresh for more than 2 Weeks . I buy Vegetables every 2 weeks and buy in bulk if they are fresh looking.
I stored Green chillies and Ginger wrapped in paper towel and they are fresh even after 10 days. Change paper towel every 3 to 4 days . Bring to room temperature and wrap in fresh paper towels. Recycle the Paper Towels for cleaning Kitchen floor or for Wrapping the vegetables when they are dry.
Note : You can use Paper towels for Wrapping the Vegetables again when they are dry or Use to Clean kITCHEN floor .
1. When I buy Vegetables I air dry them for 2 Hours . Don’t wash . You need Paper Towel Roll and Plastic Bags or Zip lock Bags or RECYCLE FRUIT AND VEGETABLE BOXES OR RUBBER MAID BOXES to STORE and Wrap Vegetables .
Storing TINDORA , OKRA , ARBI , INDIAN CLUSTER BEANS , INDIAN BROAD BEANS : Place a Paper towel in a Plastic Bag or Zip lock Bag and keep Vegetables on the Paper towel . Cover the Vegetables with One full sheet or two Single sheet Paper towels . Squeeze out all air and tie a knot in case of Plastic Bag and same with Zip lock Bag or in RUBBER MAID BOXES.
In case of Bittergourd ( Karela) Wrap them individually in 2 single sheets or One full sheet . Place in Plastic bag or in Ziplock Bag or Rubber maid Boxes or Recycle Spinach , Tomato and Fruit Boxed . Squeeze out air and tie a KNOT or seal the Ziplock Bag. If you don’t use them in 3 days . Take them out air day and wrap one in Single sheet and into Ziplock Bags . or store in RUBBER MAID BOXES . STAYS good for more than 10 days.
3. Following week I use Cauliflower, Cabbage, Carrots ( Half first week and Half second week) , Raw Banana , Arbi , Yellow Cucumber and so on . These vegetables has more Shelf Life.
In case of CAULIFLOWER remove LEAVES . Separate FLORETS and Wrap in 2 full sheets of Paper towel . Separate Florets . Place a Paper towel in Rubber Maid Box . Place the florets and cover with another Paper towel before closing the lid. Change Paper towel every 4 days . THEY STAY GOOD FOR MORE THAN 10 DAYS .
4. Weekend whatever Vegetables are left I air dry them for Couple of hours . Again Wrap them with Paper towel and into Plastic Bag or Ziplock Bag OR RUBBER MAID BOXES or RECYCLE FRUIT BOXES, SPINACH AND TOMATO BOXES .
5. In case of GREEN SQUASH ( Lauki) I Use 3 full sheets to wrap . This way they stay good for 2 weeks . After 4 days air dry for couple of hours and wrap in fresh paper towel and store in SPINACH BOX( RECYCLE THE BOXES) .
6. TOMATOES – I buy both Raw and RIPE . First week I use RIPE and following week semi riped or full riped tomatoes and in Boxes . I recycle the Tomato boxes in case I buy them from local store and not in Boxes . Tomatoes stays good for more than 2 weeks in the Boxes. Every 4 days I leave them on Kitchen counter for Couple of hours . So they don’t get freezer burn.
7. POTATOES, ONIONS and GARLIC I leave on KITCHEN COUNTER .
8 . In case of SPINACH I buy prewashed in a Box . I place one Single Sheet on the bottom , MIDDLE on TOP . I use Spinach for daily Cooking I leave on Kitchen counter for 30 minutes to avoid Freezer Burning OR WRAP 3 handfuls of Spinach leaves IN FULL SHEET and ROLL and WRAP like a POCKET and store in SPINACH BOXES. Stays good for more than 10 days. CHANGE PAPER TOWEL every 3 days.
8. In case of GREEN CHILLIES remove stems and Wrap few in 3 to 4 full sheet paper towels and into Ziplock Bags . Change Paper towel every 4 days if any left and Wrap in new Paper towel and air dry for an hour or STORE IN RECYCLE TOMATO BOXES .
9. GINGER also I wrap in Paper towel and into Ziplock Bag or Recycle Tomato Boxes or in Rubber maid Boxes.
10. CURRY LEAVES , MINT and METHI(FENUGREEK LEAVES) separate leaves from stems and WRAP in PAPER TOWEL and in ZIP LOCK or Rubber Maid Boxes or recycle Vegetable and Fruit Boxes . Squeeze out air and lock it.
11. CORIANDER , CILANTRO , PARSLEY buy with less water sprayed . And use 4 full sheets of PAPER TOWEL for Wrapping few sprigs in each Paper towel . Store in Ziplock and Squeeze out excess air . Stays fresh for more than one week. or in Rubber maid Boxes or recycle the Tomato Boxes or Spinach Boxes.
12. Sorrel Leaves or Ambadi or Gongura : Separate leaves from Stems and Wrap in a Paper towe land store in a Plastic Bag or Wrap all leaves in 2 full Sheets and into Ziplock Bag . Squeeze all air from Ziplock Bags.
13. Banana Peppers – Wrap individually in a Single sheet and Place in a Zip lock Bag and Squeeze out all air. or STORE IN SPINACH BOXES( RECYCLE) Stays good for 2 Weeks, Change Paper for every 4 days if any left and leave for Couple of Hours on Kitchen counter.
14. CABBAGE and CAULIFLOWER : Remove the plastic wrap from Cabbage and wrap with 4 single sheets and into Plastic Bag . Store above the Fruit Box . Third compartment . Stays good for 2 weeks . After 4 days take out and air dry for couple of hours and Wrap in fresh papaer towels.
CAULIFLOWER : Remove the leaves and separate florets. Wrap few florets in 2 single sheets and wrap like a pocket . Repeat with the rest of florets. After 4 days if any left wrap in fresh papaer towel AND Store in RUBBER MAID Boxes .
15 . LIME or LEMON : If you buy a bag store in Door . Stays good for month . In between you check for spoiled Ones and air dry for couple of hours. You can even wrap them in Paper towel and into Ziplock Bag. or in RECYCLE TOMATO Boxes
1. In case of Coriander , Green Chilies , Ginger , Spinach whenever you take out leave on Kitchen Counter till you finish Cooking to avoid freezer burning.
2. Remove air from PLASTIC BAG or ZIPLOCK bag before storing.
3. STORE VEGETABLES in Fruit boxes and Lower Shelf of Fridge.